Friday, September 27, 2013

Constitutionally speaking...

Of the long list of things I need to read before I leave for Busan, this week's task was to tackle the World Council of Churches' Constitution and Guidelines for the Conduct of Meetings. While it doesn't sound like the most intriguing reading ever, there were parts of it I found quite interesting.

- First, there is the possibility that a point of order could be raised during a meeting. As every good #cdnpoli #parlnerd knows, these can be the most interesting parts of a debate! It warmed my parliamentary heart :).

- Check out page 5 of that Constitution for a list of the criteria a church must fulfill in order to be considered for membership in the WCC. Very interesting to think about what makes a church a church. What are our standards?

- As a bonafide #parlnerd (my husband and I were given an updated copy of Robert's Rules for a wedding present, okay? Seriously.), it was fascinating to look at the WCC's consensus decision making model that's used in meetings. "...the Council can bear witness not only by its programmes and resolutions, but also by the way it does its business. It can shape its rules and procedures in such a way as to express a faith “made effective in love” (Gal. 5:6). This means that member churches, as well as representatives of those churches, will treat each other with respect and will seek to build one another up in love (cf. 1 Cor. 13:1-6, 14:12)."

What a great way to demonstrate the compassion and respect that is rooted in our faith. I am looking forward to seeing how this actually plays out in a meeting.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, blog saved on my feed. I thought you were leaving on Sep. 30! Now I know you still have a whole month to get ready. Leave sometime to enjoy the Seoul airport, it has all kinds of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete