Thursday, September 5, 2013

Finding unity in diversity

One thing I am really looking forward to in attending the World Council of Churches' 10th Assembly is the diversity of people that will gather, and seeing the things that unify us. Check out the list of WCC member churches - it is incredible! (There are 22 different Presbyterian churches alone on that list!) I am looking forward to the fellowship with those from Orthodox churches, for example - my path doesn't cross with these churches as much as it does with some of the others found in Canada. I am sure that I will learn a lot about their traditions.

I'm looking forward to being with those from all around the world - the church holds a different place in different countries' societies, and it will be interesting to gather with people from each continent to talk, worship and pray together. Those coming from regions where the church is growing, for example, (and they do exist!) will have different ideas or insights than those coming from churches where membership is declining.

Some things might not necessarily be easy. A clear example for me is the place of women in the church. That isn't even something that Canadian churches can agree on, let alone different denominations from different countries. It will be challenging for me to have some of those conversations, I think.

And yet, there will be things that bring us together. Things upon which we can all agree. Things where we can stand together, as a church, and make a statement about Christianity in this time and place. And it will be good and joyful and empowering to see what those are. I'll let you know :).


 A prayer on the way to Busan
On the way to Busan,
may we walk humbly with you, God of life.
On the way to Busan,
guide us as we gather, pray and deliberate as disciples of Christ.
On the way to Busan,
lead us in thew ay of justice, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Thanks for your posts! I've just shared this one with the Facebook group on women in church and society :o) Maybe you'll want to join? https://www.facebook.com/groups/WCCwomen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thanks for your reflections on the challenges. You are the change that the diverse church needs. So your being at the Pre-assembly and assembly is already fresh breath of hope! Looking forward to working with you.

      Delete
  2. I am fulata moyo, programme executive for women in church and society

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annegret and Fulata - thanks for visiting my blog, and for your comments! I appreciate your kind words, and I will definitely check out the facebook page :).

    ReplyDelete